Sunday, March 14, 2010

Embarrassment revisited

          I went to my planting journal (from which I'm typing for these blogs, trying to catch up to real time) and looked up where I'd planted the 6 nurse log spruces I've planted so far - four beyond what are in the blogs posted so far.  I checked them out.  All are definitely spruce, and everything growing on the nurse logs still probably is, too.  Two are too tiny to tell. 
          Back in my garden room I looked at the 5 little trees G had said were hemlocks.  They weren't the nurse log trees I'd potted - those were outdoors, with lots of moss & etc. potted up with them.  The little guys in the garden room are western yews from the YCSWCD sale that I'd put in larger pots.  They are choice little trees, far less common that the Sitka spruce, so I'm protecting them.
          So, just a misunderstanding.  Not me losing my botanical marbles - and not G looking very closely at what I've got where in pots.  I don't want to be too technical in my journal and blog, but I do want to be precise when I am technical - spell the scientific names correctly, give proper dates and locations.  And I want to keep good records. 

No comments:

Post a Comment