Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 1 continued

          I stopped blogging yesterday so I could go substitute teach - middle school and high school geography/history.  Yesterday's photo is of evergreen huckleberry, a plant my friend GO says beats boxwood (which it resembles in having the very regular, green and shiny leathery evergreen leaves) because of its very tasty fruit, its being native, and its overall beauty.  
          To continue:  When I returned from Tillamook, I made 3 wire cages - maybe there's enough for 3 more.  I was jazzed - empowered:  I could get the wire, flatten out its bumps, find the wire snips, cut the wire, and bend fingers of it to fashion a wire circle cage!!!  I can do it!
           Rose and I took the yellow wheelbarrow up the hill (through the vegetable garden, past the tiny pond) with shovel, 3 dowels to anchor cages, 3 plants, and an old gym basket (where you put your clothes when you dressed down when I was a kid - trash from the High School remodel).  I started with 2 of my wire cages but one wouldn't stay on the wheelbarrow, and I could picture it scraped off and poking me in the eye.  So we left it by the house.  The other one was scraped off as I went under the top half of the veg. garden gate - gates and the fence are 8 feet tall to keep deer out.  I left it there.
          We planted a huckleberry on north side of tractor road by pond.  We covered it with the gym basket, and anchored that with a motley arrow I found nearby - from the days of archery fascination and bow building by son Sean and his dad.
          We put a cedar below the spring fence, close to the tiny creek.  A little west of it, we put in a hemlock.  The terrain is steep there - I found myself sliding out of my garden clogs, then digging with the shovel while kneeling.  Lots of roots to dig through or around.  And rocks.
          I threw one large rock down the hill and Rose went after it.  Down by the house, when we went to get the cages, I noticed she was carrying that rock.  Prized possession.  (No, she didn't chew on it.  Sean, Rose's true master, will want to make sure I never let her chew on rocks.)
          Yellow dog tooth violets (Viola glabella?) just beginning to bloom, and sourgrass (Oxalis oregana, I believe, with pink flowers) just opening its leafy rosettes.   The oxalis, called sourgrass around here, forms dense carpets of individually fragile plants.  It is a strong spreader, considered a weed by those who don't want its exuberance.  I love it and the false lily of the valley - Maianthemum dilatatum - which also forms carpets in the shade.  We have yet to get any of the Maianthemum well established.
          I came across lots and lots of English holly.  I remember in Fall I began my one-a-day trips as going in the woods each day with Rose, clipping blackberries and pulling holly trees.Only after the New Year did I revamp my "daily" into also planting a tree.  Much harder to do!  But I do still pull the hollies near my new plantings - and clip the blackberries.  I'm still planning to set the holly WAY back this year.
          I'm beginning to get really excited about 365 trees/shrubs, new ones, most on this property, our 5 1/2 acres.  I think of them growing big, the salal, huckleberries or snowberry forming dense clumps - or thickets!  Hedgerows!! (I love both those words.)  It takes years for the shrubs (trees, too, sometimes) to "take off", but I'm content to wait - though I will take compost up some days and side dress our new and former plantings.

No comments:

Post a Comment