Saturday, March 13, 2010

january 27

Rose and I planted four kinnikinnicks (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi - bearberry) in the "patio bed" above the east patio at the high school.  (Count these four shrubs as one tree/shrub.)  These were from cuttings I took last spring.  (Bought plant with BB in Portland.)  Then we took two more spruce from the nurse log and planted them by Three Rivers, straight from the back of the house.  
          I must remember to flag my new plants to avoid G. mowing them.  The spruces don't need protection from deer as nothing eats them.  The needles are very prickly and this may be one reason why.  It is a very helpful characteristic in learning to identify Sitka spruce, although not much help with very tall trees (!).  I learned that in working with schoolchildren.  
          The above link is to the Manzanita Image Project - great photos of plants.  

No comments:

Post a Comment